Well, I finally got around to trying out the new template feature (better late than never). This is a big improvement, but it could be even better.
- I applied one of the default templates (for Dark Designs) and some of the products placed my design off-center. This was not true for all of them, just for a few.
- Since I was just playing around, after loading the Dark Designs template, I canceled. Originally, I had one product for the design; after canceling, I expected to have one product for the design, but I got all the products in the template.
- I haven’t verified this, but I swear I deleted colors on a template that then re-appear when I apply the template to a new product.
- Templates combine things that might best be kept separate. Front or back may not be heavily used, but positioning things on the front is quite different than the back. Available colors are independent of front/back. The choice of products may be independent of all those. So yes, I’d like a positioning template, a separate color template, and a separate product choice template. Currently, I find myself creating permutations of all these and with only 10 templates allowed, one runs out of permutations pretty fast.
- Color palettes are a major headache. You have to click on each product to see what the available colors are. To verify the colors if one includes a lot of products, is a major hassle. How about including a little legend under the product thumb that shows the available colors. This would make it easier to ensure that a bad color option wasn’t available.
- It would be even nicer if I could just click on the legend to immediately set the default color without having to bring up a product, select the color, click on apply, and wait.
- Even better would be to have a global palette of all the possible colors for all the selected products. I’d like to deactivate colors globally. For instance, if I know that no shade of red is going to work, do I really need to go into each product and individually remove all the reds? And, as I said, it’s not easy to proof that I didn’t miss one somewhere. This option might actually be a lot better than a color template. I find that some of my designs have pretty specific colors they work well with, so I almost need a color template for each one (which means, right now, a template for each design, which means running out of templates pretty fast).
That’s about it so far.