White Tower Hamburgers
White Tower Hamburgers was founded in 1926 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and with its similar white fortress-like structure, is considered an imitator of White Castle. The chain was successful and expanded to other cities, including Chicago, Illinois, Indianapolis, Indiana, Cleveland, Ohio, Detroit, Michigan, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, New York City, Albany, New York, Boston, Massachusetts and as far south as Richmond, Virginia. During the Great Depression, White Tower sold hamburgers for five cents.
John E. Saxe and Thomas E. Saxe started White Tower Hamburgers after investigating various White Castle locations, observing operations and hiring a White Castle operator. The first location opened near Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. By the end of 1927, there were six locations in Milwaukee and Racine, Wisconsin. In 1929, White Tower put 30 locations in Detroit alone. Despite the Depression, White Tower expanded to 130 locations. White Tower placed many of their locations near train and